My DeWALT Bass!

IMG_1120
The Poetry of Sound…
I saw people making cigar box guitars on YouTube. Only one or two tried making a bass. I decided to see if I could make a 2 string fretless bass. I did not have a cigar box, so I decided to use my DeWalt reciprocating saw case. It was good hard plastic and locked down tight. I had a piece of hickory, from a tree behind my house, that I ran through my table saw to make the neck. I took the grinder and ground out the partitions and drilled holes in the top with my door hole saw. I got a cheap piezo stick-on pick-up on amazon. It seems to work well and has a good sound when I hook it up to my small amp. I tuned it to a low C and E on my piano.

These photos show some of the process:

IMG_0959

IMG_0963

IMG_0965

IMG_0991

IMG_0993 (2)

IMG_1103

IMG_1095

IMG_1106

IMG_1109IMG_1117.JPG

Photos: Dwight L. Roth & Ruth Roth

Stairwell Paintings

IMG_6362 (2)

I love painting large canvases. I get them from the local Habitat Restore and recycle them into my own creations. The problem is, I don’t have places to hang all of them. A couple of years ago, I ask one of the town officials in Waxhaw if I could hang some of them in an old stirwell. I was able to hang several of them. Everyone who goes up and down gets to enjoy them. Much better than sitting in my garage collecting dust.

Large paintings hanging

Free showing for all to see

on stairwell landings

IMG_6365 (2).JPG

IMG_6357 (2).JPG

IMG_6366IMG_6372

Paintings by: Dwight L.Roth

Pallet Drums

Poetry in Wood and Sound!!

IMG_1880_1.JPG

Oak pallets can be used for more than carrying materials into a warehouse. The last six years before my retirement were spent managing a siding warehouse for a friend of mine. When the economy collapsed in 2008 and thereafter, siding sales dropped dramatically. As a result I had a lot of time on my hands. I used some of that time to convert oak pallets to useful items like the drums you see in this post. By dismantling the pallets and running the boards through the table saw, I found all the wood I needed.

IMG_1874_1

I sawed strips of oak with a slight bevel on each side. Each drum was a different length to give a varied sound when played. I used wood glue to glue them together, holding the round cylinder with pieces of coat hanger wire on top and bottom. By twisting the wire to the point of almost breaking, it worked just like clamping it with clamps. After they dried, I sanded the out side with a belt sander and then by hand. Clear polyurethane gave the surface a satin finish.

IMG_1875_1

I bought some leather from a local saddle shop and used furniture tacks to fasten the leather to the top of each cylinder.  I soaked the leather and stretched it over the top with a flat nosed electrical pliers. Holes were drilled through the sides and some spacer pieces.  By using three eighth’s inch bolts, I was able to connect the three drums. I also made a vertical 2×4 T stand (not shown) with a notch that held the center piece of the drums.

IMG_1879_1

The triangular set of drums worked very well. I made them for a friend’s daughter who enjoyed playing the drums.

IMG_1881_1

During that time I built two different sets of bongo drums. I built several other things which I will show you in a later post.